Friday 7 December 2007

The return of the Barbour

When you see two of the coolest girls in the planet wearing the same jacket, you start thinking why on earth you don't have it yet. The jacket is the Barbour, and those girls are Ashley Olsen and Alexa Chung.

I used to wear my wax cotton Barbour all the time during my preadolescence. I still can remember its strong odour, the corduroy collar and the warm tartan lining.

I stopped wearing it because it made me feel so posh at the time. But now, I realise it can look cool with the right clothes. The best thing is they last decades and can save you from many downpours.


Thanks to Stevie from Discotheque Confusion for her useful help.


Song: Rain - The Beatles

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love barbour! esp b/c they smell like crayons...
:)

Mónica said...

I remember posh girls wearing them in my childhood, but I guess you're right, and everything changes if you choose the appropiate clothes.

goia said...

ufff.....in my teen age was soooooo posh...but when I see A. Olsen...mmmm I really like... I think is in my mother´s closet.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Did you save the coat? I keep a lot, but I also tend to regret everything I do get rid of.

María said...

^No, unfortunately I didn't keep it. I gave away most of my clothes from that period.

Miss at la Playa said...

direct to my christmas wish list :)

discotheque confusion said...

Yes, Jennine is so spot on about them smelling of Crayons.

And the funny thing is, I can't quite place where I have smelt a Barbour before, but I can imagine it so distinctly!

Glad that you managed to sort out the pictures, thanks for the mention.

And I know what you mean about the "posh" look. It can be the same with Blazers but its all about off setting the look with something a little more grungey.

Fantastic look.

Héloïse J. said...

yes i love barbours too, but this smell pushed away for bying it! silly? ..it's a really cool jacket with history! <3

Bobble Bee said...

What a shame that in Spain we always associated Barbour with posh kids because the Barbour is COOL as hell!!
Now that im not in Spain i can wear it no problem

The Image Coop said...

I posted something about this recently,

http://theimagecooperative.blogspot.com/search/label/barbour%20jacket

...the Sartorialist loves his Barbours although they seem to be predominantly a man thing in NY. London has def been seeing a 'Girls in gigantic wax jackets' trend slowly emerge for a while now, they've yet to go Topshop big but it's prob only a matter of time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...