Saturday 8 March 2008

Diamonds are a girl's best friend?

If you followed Sex and the City, you might remember that in the last two seasons Pat Field put an extra effort to make Carrie look incredibly stylish all the time. We knew it was surrealistic for a woman whose only income was a newspaper salary, to own various Kelly bags, diamond necklaces and hundreds of designers shoes. But it was all the same, because we enjoyed seeing her looking fab. So, when I saw the fantastic Tom Binns Dumont* collection the first image that came to mind was Carrie wearing a diamond necklace with a simple grey t-shirt.

Tom Binns was the winner of a CFDA award in 2006 and he's also famous for collaborating with Vivienne Westwood and Malcolm McLaren with "Punk Couture".



If like me, you are broke and you still like this kind of necklaces, search for rhinestone on e-bay and you'll find nice alternatives for a mere $2,99.


*The Dumont collection is made with crystals not diamonds.

Song: Can't buy me love - The Beatles

11 comments:

Char Ruiz Manjarrez said...

I agree. I mean maybe (just maybe) you could belive the shoes but by the end she was wearing gigatic diamonds! Remeber the ones that were like three diamond circles with esmeralds inside? I mean come on. Of course I wan't complaining then and I'm not complaining now.

There is somehing so chic about diamonds with just a black t and jeans. Great find by the way.

C.

..... said...

i couldnt agree more with u !! if boys best friend have changed a lot, from the dog, to the lastest gadgets, apple's computers or cars..etc girls have seemed to be still in love with rocks !!

Iñaki said...

Everybody loves a diamond, but as you were pointing out, there are very good alternatives which will look as good as long as you have style.

xx

Disneyrollergirl.net said...

Oh I love this look. I bought a very ornate (fake) diamond and pearl necklace in India which I wore to the office with my Levi's T-shirt and jeans but my Indian colleagues didn't get it. I got loads of compliments on the necklace but followed with the inevitable...'but why are you wearing it with a T-shirt?'!

Anonymous said...

I'm terribly scared of diamonds.... wearing something so ostentatious (even the small ones...) and with such monetary value to them.... but I think they're something I'll learn to love....

discotheque confusion said...

I always did wonder how Carrie afforded all those lovely clothes with a weekly column..

Love your idea of wearing something so extravangant with a plain grey tee.

Jill said...

I love messy beautiful necklaces, those are really great

alluretone said...

i like the one in the middle, i don't know why but i've never been really fond of diamonds.

Secretista said...

I love diamonds. Although, I've had bad luck with them in the past. My parents bought me 3 sets of diamond studs in 3 different sizes and I lost all but two of them and the two that remain, one of them is missing a back and they are both of different sizes! (This was back when I was 12)

Anonymous said...

hahaha, that´s exactly what I wondered too discothequechic :-)

great tip about e bay...

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Those necklaces are decadent and so much more darkly gorgeous than the traditional diamond on a string.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...